Thursday, September 8, 2011

Color Dropping Demo

Yesterday, I decided to drop some watercolor paints on a piece of 6" X 6" Strathmore Bristol Vellum paper I've had lying around.  I let it dry and had to press it under some books and took it out this morning with the intention of doing a floral piece of Zentangle inspired art on it with my black micron .01 pen.  


This is a picture of what the paper looked like before I began...


(Sorry about my poor photography here.)


I began with a tangle pattern by the name of Mumsy.  That pattern, and the colors I'd dropped, got me thinking about autumn.  Soon, I got carried away with the designs I saw in the dropped colors and just let the pen go.  My mumsy morphed into another tangle pattern by the name of Flux.  Next, leaves showed up.  And then it was calling out to be shaded with my black Prismacolor pencil.  That's the fun of dropping color with absolutely nothing planned and then just letting it speak to you.  This is what I wound up with in the end...

Autumn Abstract

2 comments:

  1. OMG - this is gorgeous! I kind of had a similar idea and painted the palm of my hand with watercolor for a 'stamp' then tangled around my hand print. But, I like your idea MUCH better and I'll be giving that a try. I love the unexpectedness of it. By the way, the other flower pattern is Pais, sometimes seen with the center loop of each 'petal' colored black. But for your flower, this is perfect. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Terrie. I bet you're going to have lots of fun doing this. Enjoy yourself!!

    ReplyDelete